Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Period!

So - I've been teaching my Kindergarteners what a period at the end of a sentence is. I don't think it's technically in the curriculum for Kindergarten but I'm always using one when I write on the board and they should know why and what it is right? Anyways, I'm always telling them that a period is used when writer's need to stop their thoughts so that their story can make sense. I've gone into quite a lot of detail about it and I thought  that they were catching on to the concept - I have to say I was pretty proud of myself. Well, it just goes to show you that pride goeth before a fall because on Monday while we were doing our stories for Melba writes I was helping Ally construct her sentence. I was curious as to the placement of her period so I questioned her about it. The young man sitting next to her leaned over and said, "Mrs. Franklin I know why Ally put her period there?" To this comment I inquired, "Jeff, why do you think Ally put her period there?" His reply was all too serious and so adorable. With a straight face he replied, "Because she said that she needs to stop there so she can go use the restroom." I guess we still need to work a little bit longer on the whole "period" concept. I had to have a little laugh though - to myself of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment