Thursday, August 27, 2009

Catching Bubbles!!

O.K. - so I've been searching and trying out new tactics to get my students attention quickly. So far just asking them to close their mouths doesn't seem to be working - go figure! So I gleaned some great advice from the internet and a fellow Kindergarten teacher who said that the "catching bubbles" concept works great for her classroom. I was hesitant to give it a try because I thought even though the concept sounded really cute I doubted whether or not it would work with my kids. However, I was at my wits end on Monday afternoon and needed "SOME WAY" to get those little mouths to cease from moving constantly. So I tried it - and it worked - and they LOVE it!! Hurray for taking someone else's advice - something I should do more often.

The genius concept goes as follows: I asked them to pretend that there were invisible bubbles floating all around them. When I ask them to catch a bubble they reach into the air, pretend to capture one and put it in their mouths. Well, everyone knows you can't talk with a bubble in your mouth and so it's worked great. It is also really cute to see them walking in line with little puffy cheeks and their hands behind their backs. Hopefully it will last throughout the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment